How to Live Longer, Healthier and Happier
Interesting fact: Did you know according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, women born during 2009 can expect to live to just about 84 while men should expect to live to 79 years?
Though this may seem to be a long time, research show for most people, those final years tend to be plagued with serious illnesses, diseases or disability. The crucial reason why we're still living longer despite these health setbacks are common thanks to the medical and technological advances that keep our hearts beating for longer. Our life expectancy isn't increasing because we have been getting healthier; it is due to medical intervention.
So although we may be living longer, we are not living our life well. Our health and wellness and lifestyle choices (ie. eating healthily, working hours, physical activity, etc) are progressively getting worse and a new study shows that babies born today every year an extra year of significant illness or disability compared to those born 30 years ago. Which means many of us will end up tortuously enduring many different types of illnesses, popping pills, going under the knife, taking medications, etc, as opposed to enjoying and living our several years to the fullest.
So what is the secret to living longer, happier and healthier? It is actually quite simple really as well as the only real problem is your resolve for living a healthier lifestyle.
So if you feel ready to start living longer, happier and healthier, here are 10 sure-fire approaches to ensure that you will feel great and healthy... for life.
HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND HEALTHIER
1. Count your alcohol consumption: Alcohol is not only full of kilojoules, it can also increase your likelihood of developing chronic diseases and irresponsible drinking is just plain detrimental to your body. At minimum, have one or more or two alcohol-free days per week and no more than 2 standard drinks daily. If you can't bring yourself to put down that Smirnoff or beer bottle, make an effort to swap it for any healthier glass of dark wine. Red wine is abundant with antioxidants and is actually great for your heart and kidneys. But don't go skulling a whole bottle of champange though, moderation is paramount.
2. Quit smoking: Smoking affects your blood choleseterol levels, damages the lining of the blood vessels, hardens your arteries, stains teeth, causes bad breath, decreases fertility in women, causes lung cancer, lung diseases, dermititis, premature wrinkling and raises your probability of having cervical cancer and a heart attack. Enough said?
3. Get regular checkups: Getting regular checkups will limit the likelihood of having any nasty health-related surprises. Additionally, it enables your doctor to identify any serious illness/diseases within their earlier stages that may increase their chances of curing it. As a minimum (ie. if you're generally healthy and well), obtain a blood test every A couple of years or so to ensure your cholesterol and blood sugars are at normal levels.
4. Eat healthily: Picture this analogy: If you have a vehicle and you use crap petrol, will your automobile continue to run smoothly and well for a long time of time? No. Well, it can be exactly the same thing with your body; eat unhealthy foods and the results will likely be reflected on your body in general. Get into a healthy eating habit/routine and feel the difference!
5. Have regular exercise: Staying active has physical, stress relieving, social and mental benefits which all contribute in helping to improve the quality and volume of your life. If you're too busy to visit the gym, try to incorporate small physical exercises in your daily life. Leave your property an extra 15 mins earlier and walk with a bus stop which is 2 streets further down, or park your vehicle slightly further away so you have to walk a little bit more for your destination. Little small changes can help and may lead to bigger ones!
6. Adjust your attitude: Our thoughts affect our health and wellbeing and a lazy mind translates into a lazy body. Hence, start thinking positively with regards to you and the people near you. This mental activity will naturally translate into your actions in how you act and interact with yourself and those who are around you. Having a positive brain is a crucial key to living a happier life because you will find yourself more prepared to take on challenges and relish the ups and downs of life. Read inspiring and positive quotes to aid with your self-motivation and maybe stick your chosen quote in a place where one can always read and remember about it. This can help you overcome any physical or mental challenges and luxuriate in whatever life throws to you.
7. Sleep well: Your system needs time to repair itself, plus it does most of it while you're sleeping. So do your system and mind a big favor and take regular breaks to make sure you get enough quality sleep during the night. Try to stay away from drinking any drink containing caffeine in it (ie. coke, coffee, Redbull) after 7pm to assist get your body right into a regular sleeping pattern. In saying that, it is also not good to oversleep since your body and mind can awaken feeling even more lethargic. 7-9 hours rest is the optimum volume of sleep time for most people, so set the alarm, grab your pillow thus hitting the sack!
8. Love yourself and love others: Humans are social creatures in fact it is thus important that we carry on and communicate, connect, and deal with others. Stay near to your friends and family and make a serious effort to help keep in touch with them. Love your family and friends, love yourself and love what you are doing with your life. Certainly be a giver, not a taker and feel the love and appreciation from others around you. Love really can make world go round!
9. Live a structured lifestyle: I know it is difficult to try and have time to do everything that is important for your requirements, but it is important that you do try. A very important thing to achieving this is organized and exercise what your goals are as well as what you want to achieve.
10. Know yourself and take corrective action: Knowing that you're a workaholic, obtain a diary, find a hobby and earn time for yourself as well as for you to enjoy yourself. If you do not exactly have the best diet in the world, try to start eating healthily and take supplements and vitamins. If you are struggling with unwanted weight, look for healthy recipes and natural ideas to assist and support you in your weight loss... and be sure you follow them. Critically evaluating on your own is important and essential in ensuring that any lifestyle change is a true change your life style that will last your daily life. Understand your weakness , nor be afraid to change and correct them. You will feel considerably more fulfilled when you do succeed and you'll also become a better and healthier person with each and every passing day.
So why spend a large proportion of your life being sick? Much younger you start, the longer you must enjoy your healthy lifestyle and the less likely you may be suffering from health issues especially much later. These 10 tips and healthy routine is very doable and, and they can make a big difference to your health. So increase the risk for commitment today and commence being healthy, living longer and enjoying life!